Contributed by Courtney Hime
At DePauw, your username is the same across systems, but there are multiple passwords for the various systems:
1. eServices (www.depauw.edu/e)
2. Blackboard (blackboard.depauw.edu)
3. Groupwise & Tigermail (email and calendaring), Novell (network folders P, I, etc.), and Moodle (an alternative Course Management System to Blackboard). Each of the three systems (or groups of systems) has a password unique to that system. For example, if you change the password in either eServices or Blackboard, your password will not change in any of the other systems. However, the systems in #3 share a synchronized password (e.g., if you change your Groupwise/Tigermail password, it automatically changes for Novell and Moodle; or, when you change your Moodle password, it will automatically changes the password for TigerMail and Novell. It will not change your password in Blackboard or eServices).
Maintaining Passwords at DePauw
It is critical to protect your personal information. To ensure the security of your information, regular maintenance is necessary on your password-protected accounts. Reset each of the passwords mentioned above at least once each semester and maintain separate passwords for each type of account.
Tips for creating more secure passwords:
1. Make sure your password is at least six characters long.
2. Use a combination of special characters, letters and numbers.
3. Be original; don’t use real words that can be found in the dictionary.
4. Avoid using public information, such as your birth date, address or phone number.
5. Don’t relate the password to your interests in a way that makes it easily guessed.
6. Once you’ve changed your password, keep it to yourself! Don’t write it down and never share it with your friends.